On this episode, host Jason Woods speaks with Dr Heather Hoch DeKeyser, pediatric pulmonologist, about EVALI (e-cigarette or vaping product use-associated lung injury). This recently recognized condition has caused numerous people to suffer severe lung disease. We discuss the definition, current approach, remaining mysteries, and potential causes.
All treatment discussed is based on the most recent CDC EVALI guideline at the time of recording – available here
Heather Hoch DeKeyser MD – Assistant Professor, Dept. of Pediatrics, Section of Pulmonary and Sleep Medicine, University of Colorado School of Medicine and Children’s Hospital Colorado
- New England Journal of Medicine map of reported EVALI cases
- CDC EVALI morality and mortality report
- CDC information for healthcare providers on EVALI
- CDC EVALI guideline and treatment recommendations
- Layden JE, Ghana I, Pray I, et al. Pulmonary Illness Related to E-Cigarette Use in Illinois and Wisconsin – Preliminary Report. N Engl J Med. 2019 Sep 6. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1911614. [Epub ahead of print]
- Butt YM, Smith ML, Tazelaar HD. Pathology of Vaping Associated Injury. Letter to the Editor. N Engl J Med. 2019; 381:1780-1781. doin: 10.1056/NEJMc1913069
- Marsden L, Michalicek ZD, Christensen, ED. More on the Pathology of Vapid Associated Lung Injury. Letter to the Editor. N Engl J Med 2020; 382:387-39 doin: 10.1056/NEJMc1914980.
- Diaz CD, Carroll BJ, Hemyari A. Pulmonary Illness Related to E-Cigarette USe. Letter to the Editor. N Engl J Med 2020; 382-386. doi: 10.1056/NEJMc1915111
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe Apple Podcasts | Android | Google Podcasts | Spotify | RSS